Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    The first leg to Wayatinah Caravan Park

    December 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 9 °C

    Got to Hobart about 1pm local time. The airport is tiny. Took as a while to get through though as we all had to be temperate tested, answer questions and so forth. Travel during a pandemic right?

    Took longer than expected to get ourselves settled and on our way with the van. First stop was Woolworths to stock up on food before driving to our first camp at Wayatinah.

    The landscape is hilly and reminds me alot of the areas around Stanthorpe. Getting closer to Wayatinah though it started to look more like the trees around The Great Ocean Road.

    Surprisingly there's lots of water, lakes and inlets. We'd come around a bend in the road and there would be a vista of water, with boulders scattered around and greeny yellow grass. And red leaved trees! I want to find out about the red trees.

    Another surprise? It doesn't get dark til 9pm. We sat outside the van at 8:30 pm to eat and it was like it would be at 5pm at home. Crazy.

    And it's cold. Freezing. (Even Suzie agreed with me on this, so it's not just me feeling the cold.) And yet there are kids running around in tee shirts and shorts. (Aclimitised locals or bonkers? I don't know. But it was nice to see the kids out and being active.) And one of the groundmen said the kids had been swimming most of the day.
    Read more