Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Wayatinah to Strahun

    December 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 13 °C

    Woke just after 4. Too flipping cold to get out of the covers to go for a walk like I intended. So watched the sunrise through the window as Suzie slept.

    We had a cuppa at the van before continuing our trip. We stopped at Lake Saint Clair visitor centre.  Had a quick look and a hot drink but didn't really have time to explore too much. Would have liked to.  If we come again have to plan a full day to explore it and walk one of the trails.
    A lady at the camp last night told us about 'The Wall' and not too miss it. So glad we took her advice. Was fabulous. You'reot allowed to take photos inside but wow!  Carved wooden panels, I can't remember how many, there are but must be 50 or 60 of them. All 1 metre by 3 metres, carved by an amazing artist, telling the story of Tasmania. From aboriginal origins, to convict settlement, the wood getters and farmers. The plants and animals The level of detail carved into the wood was out of the world.  Fabric looked like fabric. And veins and muscles . Outstanding.

    While here we also shared a nip of Sullivan's Cove whiskey.  Got 'best whisky award last year beating even those made in Scotland.  $23 for one nip.  Wouldn't drink it again but glad I tried it.  At the very least it warmed me up.  F##k it's cold.

    Note to self.  Buy thermal shirt, pants, socks and gloves.  It's bloody cold. And a good pair of waterproof  walking shoes and jacket.

    Drive to Queenstown was crazy hilly and bendy.  Wanted to check out where our train trip leaves from tomorrow.  See the layout as it were. Then to Strahan where we're camped for two nights.  Only a hour trip back to Queenstown for tomorrow.
    Read more