Satellite
  • Day 4

    Cradle Mountain

    December 31, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 17 °C

    Slower start to this morning.  Quiet breakfast at the van and getting settled got our drive to Cradle Mountain.

    l almost fell asleep in the van as we were traveling along today.  The rocking of the van almost rocking me to sleep.  Managed to stay awake to keep Suzie company through.

    I don't know what I expected at Cradle Mountain exactly except lots of walking.  And it is that...but it's more too.  I had read the walk to Dove Lake was 2 to 3 hours so didn't expect to actually see it, thought we'd just do one of the shorter walks.  Turns out the 2 to 3 hours is how long it takes to walk AROUND the lake.  It's only about a 20 minute walk from the bottom bus stop to Glacier Rock which has great views of Dove Lake. It's just ruggedly beautiful.  The colours astonishing.  We did the Enchanted walk too...saw a wallaby napping in the undergrowth.  The difference in the flora between the two walks...one at the top, one at the bottom, is crazy.  Both beautiful in there own ways.

    We're camped tonight at a grounds litterly across the road from the visitor centre.  Serene is the best word for it.  Last night's camp at Strahan, and the one at Wayatinah had kids running around and playing til 9pm.  Here it's just quiet with the sounds of nature.  The camp kitchen has a two way fireplace. which I sat at for a while crocheting.

      Again...wish we had more time here. I'd like to explore cradle mountain more. Do the walk around Dove Lake and Creator Lake too. Maybe more. There's just not enough time.
    Read more