Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 27

    York, Yorkshire

    May 23, 2023 in England โ‹… โ˜๏ธ 19 ยฐC

    Suzie - We have checked in to our lodgings at 'The Fort' in Little Stonegate, York, where I have stayed before.

    York is still fabulous ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ This was the land of the Brigantes tribe before the Romans sent the 9,th Legion to bring them.under Roman rule.

    Founded in AD 71 by the Romans and named Eboracum, it was a major hub for Roman civilisation. The headquarters of the Roman fortress is buried under York Minster. Roman emperors Hadrian, Septimus Severus and Constantius I (father of Constantine the Great) all held court here.

    After the Roman occupation declined in the 5th century, the Angles occupied.

    In the 7th century, York came under the rule of King Edwin of Northumbria and in 627 a wooden minster church was built for Edwin's baptism. It was remade in stone.

    The Vikings invaded in 866 and named the town Jorvik and became the capital Viking city in Britain.

    In 1068, William the Conqueror took over the city and began to fortify it.

    There is so much history in York!!

    We went to the Punch Bowl pub tonight in Stonegate and did speed quizzing... just like pub quiz but it works on special tablets that the quiz master has and you need to press the first letter of the answer or type the date in, or arrange the right answer; depending on the question. We came 7th ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿ’œ Not bad!!

    Nik - York is beautiful. I think I am going to like it here. It has a bit of an eclectic, arty feel to it and the history is palatable. They seem to LOVE their street performers, especially those dressed as Vikings.

    Trivia at The Punch Bowl was fun. Though if cause Suzie did all the heavy lifting there.
    Read more