Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 2

    Avocado Pasta: who knew?!

    February 7, 2020 in Mexico ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    7th Feb. Seabass with spicy avocado pasta. Scallops in ranchero stew. After watching grey whales in Laguna San Ignacio

    This was what we were served up when at the whale watching place. The scallops here grow in a much bigger shell than at home, but the flesh is actually smaller. Our guide found one in the shallows for us, but it had an octopus hiding inside, which he handled to show us before letting it go. Then he got one with a scallop, but got stung by a stingray in the process, then again by another. He hardly even flinched. These things bloody killed Steve Irwin and he was a machine!

    I quite liked the spicy avocado pasta with my fish. The seabass was a little stronger in fish flavour than my ideal, but I'm sure it would suit most palates. Jen's dish was interesting- the usual Mexican suspects- tomatoes, peppers, onions, stewed down with the scallops. As always, served on the table are the ubiquitous array of hot sauces. Can't complain. What I appreciated most is that this felt like home cooking, and that's the kind of thing we don't come across too often as, so far, we're typically eating at taco stands where it's more of a street-food style which I imagine to be different to what most eat at home.
    Read more