Satellite
  • Day 48

    Pisac

    March 2, 2020 in Peru ⋅ ☁️ 9 °C

    The Incas really loved their steps! The Pisac ruins in Peru were super cool, but really hard work to get to! It was built on top of a really high, steep mountain with LOADS of steps.

    They built lots of terraces into the side of the mountain for growing food, but these ones were for food production, not for experiments. They also hadn’t invented the wheel yet, so they had to use humans and animals to transport everything up to the settlement. The highest point in the settlement was for religious ceremonies because they felt closer to the sky and the gods.

    After Pisac, we went for lunch at Kantu Wasi in Amru. The house was owned by a lovely lady called Angela and she and her neighbours made lunch for us including Trout fish and Guinea Pig!Angela and her neighbours dressed us up in traditional Inca clothes! They are so warm!

    After we finished our lunch, Angela and her neighbours showed us how their textiles were made, all the way from the sheep to the finished product! This is how string is made:

    1. They cut some wool from the sheep
    2. They shampoo the sheep wool with a natural plant shampoo
    3. Once it is dried they spin it into a string
    4. They repeat again and now they have 2 sticks of string
    5. Now they spin the two sticks of string into a ball
    6. They then wrap it around their arms in a criss-cross
    7. Then they put the string in the natural dye
    8. They leave the string to soak in the dye for a few hours
    9. It is ready to be made into textiles!

    It takes 3 months for them to make enough string to make 1 poncho!

    After lunch at Angela’s house, we went to a huge market! There was a girl from the mountain making money from tourists by having us take photos with her ADORABLE animals! There was a super fluffy baby Alpaca and a cute goat with small horns!
    Read more