Спутник
Показать на карте
  • День 37

    Day 27 - San Ignacio to San Pedro

    9 декабря 2023 г., Белиз ⋅ ⛅ 29 °C

    Muggy start to the day and we have 115km along a pretty straight road into the wind to catch a boat to the island of San Pedro that is 90 minutes from the outskirts of Belize city.
    Belize still very much has a colonial feel in terms of the architecture and appears more affluent than Guatemala. There is not a continual stream of plastic bottles etc in the gutter - in fact it is litter free a lot of the time.
    There are a number of buildings on stilts and lots of buildings with the colonial style balconies. There is a sense that things have peaked and some TLC is needed to rejuvenate but it is much cleaner than the countries we have been through - and no stray dogs !
    We saw somebody smoking at the hotel this morning and realised we hadn’t seen anyone smoking at all on our travels - apparently Nicaragua was one of the first countries to ban smoking in public places (in 1996 - that’s 10 years ahead of UK!)
    After a long ride into a hot headwind we arrive at the ferry terminal to catch the 1.30pm shuttle across to the island. The sea is incredibly blue and we can see the white beaches but we are too tired to take pictures as we doze on the boat in our sweaty gear ! The Dutch party in front of us make faces and turn round to see what the smell is ….

    Kate had a very bad experience on the road today. A car overtook her near a bend and an oncoming car clipped that car and went sideways across road skidding straight towards Kate who had to take evasive action and swerve across the road to the other side. Doesn’t know how she missed oncoming traffic and traffic behind her that was trying to avoid the skidding car. She made it unscathed, stopped and burst into tears and threw up. She was extraordinarily lucky. The sliding car ended up in the ditch and the driver managed to walk out of it…..
    Читать далее