Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 38

    Rest Day - San Pedro island

    December 10, 2023 in Belize ⋅ ☀️ 27 °C

    A much needed rest day on the island of San Pedro. It has the second largest coral reef in the world just offshore and we book a trip for the morning. First we have a great breakfast (American style ! No beans or plantain or tortillas !!)
    The water is aqua blue and we speed along to the first spot where we enter the water to snorkel. Unfortunately the group I am with has some weaker swimmers and the current is strong so we don’t make it into the main channel where the coral goes down some 10 metres. John’s group make this. We see loads of beautiful colourful fish - big and small - as well as beautiful coral. It’s very therapeutic floating around looking at where sea world - the water is crystal clear! We are in the water for about an hour and then back into the boat to go to the place where we will see lots of sharks. Candy man and Ryan (our crew) chuck food over kne side of the boat and we all get in the water the other side and quickly swim round to the side where the sharks are having a feeding frenzy. It’s incredible to watch but instinct gets me out the water after a while ! Too many sharks swimming too close to me underneath ! John probably stays in one of the longest !!
    Finally a great coffee once we are back to shore at the Farmhouse cafe and then a bit of shopping for essentials (sunscreen and chocolate) and then a lazy afternoon - the temperature is lovely in the shade.
    Read more