Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 8

    Day trip to Roxby

    July 4, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 18 °C

    We head off to Roxby Downs this morning. 183km of dirt road. Over 80km along the Oodnadattaa track, before the turn off. This was our trial run to see what the road might be like before committing ourselves with the van behind us. Most of the road was good - the rough patches were small - so that's where we are heading on Sunday morning with the van behind us. We passed some ?aboriginal sculptures about 50km along the Oodnadatta track. A steady stream of travelers were stopping to have a look. Us included!
    Roxby Downs is described as a 'Green Town in the desert...and it is. It is serviced by Olympic Dam, and has a very well stocked Woolworths. Worth the journey to get here, after our unanticipated length of stay at Marree. We bought a few things and went to a pie shop for lunch...then back home before dark. We just made it. The carpark was very busy and we had nowhere to park our car! Our neighbours tonight had been on the other side of the van yesterday. They were farmers from Queensland. He piloted a powered hangglider, and had flown down the birdsville track. They seemed to be sleeping in the back of their Ute. This morning they had flown over the Marree man, and planned to fly out over the lake tomorrow. We must have left the outside lights on after they went to bed, and we found black tape covering them when we got up! The farmers from Queensland were obviously resourceful too!
    Read more