Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 39

    Back to Katherine

    August 4, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 22 °C

    We were on the road before 9.30. We started listening to another Tim Winton book, The Eyie, and I enjoyed spotting the increasing colours of flowers, trees, shrubs in bloom along the roadside.
    We stopped by the giant magnetic termite mounds to put some more petrol in the car, and then refuelled properly in Bachelor. That was a lovely looking town, tidy and green. The owner of the petrol station was renovating the cafe and it looked very impressive.
    Silvia sent me a text to say she was having coffee in Palm Springs...hours ahead of us! We phoned the Riverview Caravan Park in Katherine to book a powered site. Then we stopped for lunch at a 24hr road rest stop, Bridge Creek. Toilets, picnic tables, and wood at about a dozen fire pits. Someone was working very hard to get campers to stop there.
    At Katherine we were assisted to park which takes so much pressure off...then a sneaky trip to the bottle shop, to grab some wine for the next few days. We spent a little time with Silvia and Walter, who were also staying at the Riverview Caravan Park, but didn't divulge where we were planning to stop tomorrow.
    Read more