Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 42

    Mary Pool Rest Area

    August 7, 2019 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 33 °C

    Because of the time difference in WA, we were up at the crack of dawn, and on the road before 8.30. We stopped and had a coffee at an aboriginal managed roadhouse. Brumbies were drinking from a trough in front of the petrol pumps, and we had already passed several on the side of the road. One of the Aboriginal workers came over to chat. He addressed Ian as 'hey cowboy' could you ride one of those?' He said they were pretty gentle, and the local kids were learning to ride on them.
    Just before Halls Creek, we passed about 4 New Age caravans, and I did my usual mad waving...to minimal response. We also burst a tyre on our caravan. Ian is a champion, and we were back on the road within the hour. Only one person stopped to see if we were okay. Puts Australian Mateship in doubt! Halls Creek was small, and as you would expect full of Aboriginals. Plenty of road trains too. One hit and killed a dog while passing down the main street. It was the dogs fault but still pretty gruesome. Lots of dogs were just roaming around the town.
    We drove on for another 118km to Mary Pool rest area, which was an absolute delight, and full of like minded people.
    Read more