Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 5

    Menindee lakes

    June 22, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 19 °C

    We are heading to the Lakes at Menindee. They have been described as being 117% full, by the 'Weather Man' who was talking to Ian and Greg outside the shopping complex in Broken Hill. (He also said to make the most of the sunshine because the weather was going to change.)
    However today the sun was shining, and the lakes were as full as anyone can remember. The water is coming from the record rainfall in Queensland earlier in the year, and which is now flowing down the Darling River.
    We stayed in a great free camp, with toilets!!!Unfortunately the toilets were blocked.
    Fiona got talking to a council employee who was closing the toilet, by taping it off, and he assured her that the toilets would be emptied this evening, and should be ready for use after that.
    Sure enough, the toilet unblocker man, worked hard shovelling the 'brown gold' (his description) and succeeded in unblocking all but one of the four toilets. We camped down beside a fantastic vista of moving water jumping fish, and birds....kookaburras, cranes, plovers and hawks hovering overhead. Ian and I walked to the far side of the road to watch the sunset. Frankie ran into the lake, up the hill and repeat!
    We walked past a water flow control area which sucks water from the main lake under the road, and spurts it out on our side. The Pelicans circled the area where the water gurgled through, competing with the fishermen on the banks for the best catch
    Read more