Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 7

    Wilcannia

    June 24, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 19 °C

    Toilets at our camp are fixed.... too late for me yesterday.... had to use the loo for number two! Was very sorry for that, but what could I do!!
    We stopped in Broken Hill for provisions, to replenish water and use the dump point. These were situated opposite the information centre.
    Beside the dump site was an enclosed park, suitable for dogs, so I took Frankie in and let him run free.
    I had no ball with me, but that was okay just running around. He was as happy as I've seen him in days. After being tethered to the caravan, he was off running, exploring, and having a ball.
    We left the lakes and headed for a free camp near Wilcannia. We couldn't find any appealing enough to stay. They were all basically bitumen parks at the side of busy main roads... not nice!
    So we kept going until Wilcannia. Ian and I have stayed there before, and it was a pleasant little council run place- cheap and cheerful! Also free washing machines!
    When we were last here 4 years ago, the caravan park, which is on the banks of the Darling River, was completely dry. A few puddles of green foul looking water was all that could be seen.
    The water allowance given to the surrounding cotton growers means little or no water in the Darling... unless, like at the moment floods in Queensland cause the water to flow again. And at the moment the river was full, and there is much beauty in its majesty.
    Wilcannia used to be a thriving port. The third largest port in NSW. Now, a lot of the grand buildings still survive, but no grandure. At night the aboriginal community rule the roost, although a new Chief of Police has brought things under control. However, there is little to no commerce here now. No reason for being!
    Anyway, for $25 powered sites, we, with about 15 other caravans stayed hooked up, ready to pull out in the morning.
    Read more