Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 12

    St George

    June 29, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 17 °C

    We thankfully left Iron Ridge and the Outback Pioneer Resort this morning, leaving Greg and Fiona who wanted to stay another day. We were heading for St George which is a smallish country town, surrounded by cotton fields. Each enormous field had an equally enormous dam. The money wasn't going into the local infrastructure though thats for sure! The road surface getting here was appalling, and although the journey wasn't overly long (less than 200 kms) it seemed to last for ever, with potholes, dips and rises, creating an uncomfortable journey. We stopped for diesel at Hebel Motel, and, along with a lot of other people, then crossed the road to the local store to get a pie for lunch. They were lovely pies, stuffed with big chunks of meat. We also bought two T bone steaks which were obscene they were so large!
    Around 2.30 we were parked in the Pelican Rest CP. A lovely grassy site, with a large field to walk Frankie in. We went into town by car- a bit too far to walk. A beautiful big river flowed through the town. A good walking track ran alongside the river, and we walked a way along it. Heading back to the CP, we noticed a lot of vans parked in the towns Showground.
    A singing festival was underway. Walkins until Thursday, then the professionals Friday and Saturday.
    Read more