Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 52

    Tour Day 3 - Prague

    July 11, 2023 in Czech Republic ⋅ ☀️ 30 °C

    Today we woke up and grabbed some breakfast before jumping on the bus and heading to the castle district of Prague. One of the more quiet guys on the tour asked a couple of us if we wanted to try 'holy water'. We were all very confused but watched as he pulled out a ziplock bag with a coles plastic water bottle full of a clear liquid. We offerred for people to smell it before offering us a sip out of the lid. Turns out 'holy water' is 52% alcohol made out of fermented grapes. So that really woke us up.
    We walked from the castle district down to the astronomical tower to watch the performance on the hour. Highlight is a skeleton ringing a bell. Then found a place for coffee on the water which had stunning views. We then joined our free castle walking tour. We caught the tram up to the castle and then explored the surrounding areas before arriving at a non-traditional yellow palace looking building. Our guide got us a great view of the changing of the guard, which was incredible. The precision around it was amazing. We then went into the cathedral which took 500 years to build and includes a stained glass window sponsored by an insurance company. We had another 90 mins walking around the grounds, we saw a statue that we called Pissing Man 2 (see yesterdays post) and back to the Charles bridge. It was a great tour.
    Next we headed to a pub for a light lunch and a beer, then to an hour river cruise with coffee and cake. The cheesecake was delicious and made me tolerate the cruise more.
    Then we went to the Pilsner Urquell immersive experience, which was a tour of how they make this czech pilsner. It was a tour with headphones and the headphones are triggered in each room by sensors. We ended by trying the beer. I tried the Mlíko which is 7/8 foam, 1/8 beer meant to give the beer a sweet taste. It was interesting to say the least.
    We headed back to the hotel and got ready for a traditional dinner with folk dancing. The dinner was great but the best part was the all you can drink beer. Paul, who has become our drinking dad kept telling the servers to give us more beer and everyone was enjoying the Aussie girls drinking a tonne of beer only 2L. The dancing and music was so entertaining. Such talented people! We got suckered by the photographer and bought the souvenir photo.
    It was a very busy, full on day but we had a great time.
    Read more