Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 54

    Tour Day 5 - Krakow

    July 13, 2023 in Poland ⋅ 🌧 19 °C

    Today we got up and had breakfast, then got ready for a morning walkong tour with the group. The guide was hilarious and very enthusiastic about the city of Krakow. I personally was waiting for someone to get hit by a car or a bike as it was incredible how unaware the group was. We saw the main town square, former city walls and walked up to the castle area. It was beautiful city once again along a river.
    Erin and I went to the cathedral within the castle which houses many tombs of important people within Polish history as well as being a beautiful place of worship. It was definitely a highlight of the day, including a climb to a bell which if you touch you'll allegedly be married within the next year. Stay tuned for that update.
    We emerged and it was raining so we quickly walked back towards the hotel to have lunch at a Pierogi cafe. Erin tried to stop me from over ordering bur I didnt listen so we had more than enough of the delicious dumplings, including dessert ones. We rolled out of there, grabbed my rain jacket and headed for a beer at a bar. We were scheduled to go for a walking tour but with the weather decided against it instead we caught a tram to a museum.
    The museum was a pharmacy which was a part of the ghetto quarter, where the Nazi's had originally forced Polish jews in the area to live. The museum was interesting, with the employees seeming uninterested and it being unclear at first who ran the pharmacy. There was a lot of information and reading, not the most interactive musuem but heaps of amazing stories of things that occurred in the area. Next we walked to the jewish ghetto wall and then made our way to the jewish quarter of shops. We stopped at a craft brew house and I had a delicious gelato sour beer.
    Next we walked back towards the river to see the dragon statue. We attempted to grab a drink by the river on a boat but it looked closed and when we approached the door all the employees were sitting and/or playing frisbee. We waited for rhe dragon statue to breathe fire as we'd been told it was every 5 minutes... However after about 10 minutes it hadn't stirred, so we missed that. We walked through the town markets and went to watch the trumpet player who plays every hour st the church. We also missed seeing him play as he didnt come to the window we were standing near...
    Then we went for dinner at a traditional Polish place. It was very unusually decorated but the food was delicious. We then grabbed some snacks and alcohol for very cheap and headed back to the hotel. Erin's wine looked like blackcurrant juice and allegedly tasted the same, so she went to grab another bottle. Unfortunately for her this bottle had a cork... We had an early night especially early for sad no wine girl.
    Read more