Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 55

    Tour Day 6 - Banská Bystrica & Budapest

    July 14, 2023 in Slovakia ⋅ ☁️ 26 °C

    Today we woke up jumped on the bus and said goodbye to Krakow. We had been warned that today's journey was going to be mainly on smaller roads so the trip would be longer. We drove through the Slovenian mountains and stopped in a small town called Banská Bystrica for a lunch break. It is mainly a ski resort town and has heaps of water activities and hiking during the summer. The old town was beautiful and it is wild that some of the buildings were built in 1303. We got a coffee and a fried dough tube filled with jam which was delicious. Erin spoke to her family while I walked by a church which was nice. We jumped back ok the bus and drove a few more hours before entering Hungary. At the petrol station stop, I grabbed a beer called a Meggy which made me chuckle. We hit Budapest and did a driving tour of the main sights. The main square had military vehicles and a helicopter as it is a military graduation tomorrow. We drove to Buda Castle which is no longer a castle and walked to the top of the viewing platform to the most incredible view of the city looking back to the Pest side.
    Finally we drove into town and stopped for dinner. We sat with Marlene and Paul who we met on the first day and once again they were so lovely. We chatted about everything and they even invited us to stay with them if we were ever in Florida. Paul made us take a traditional Hungarian shot, that is described by some locals as 'medicine'. It literally burnt all the way down my body, it was poison. The dinner was lovely but it was so hot, it made it harder to enjoy. Then finally we walked back and went to bed, another long bus day but Budapest looks amazing!!
    Read more