Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 69

    F1 day 1 - It always rains in Spa

    July 28, 2023 in Belgium ⋅ 🌧 21 °C

    Today we got up and it was some how still raining. We got dressed and headed to breakfast. As yurt guests we got to have a complimentary bacon sandwich which was a dense bur delicious breakfast. We set off on our trek towards the track which was along a road which was quite busy, however we had our breakfast beers to keep us going. We slowly caught up with more and more people and watched the chaos of people parking. It was like a pilgrimage into the track as we got closer, so many people were waiting to get in.
    We finally got in and were in the fan zone which was full of merch, activities and food. We headed for the stage and not long after came out the Alpha Tauri (Danny Ric!!!) and Williams (Walbon!!) teams. They had a quick interview on stage and it was so amazing to see them up so close. We waved the Aussie flag for Daniel to see. Next McClaren came out (Piastri!!!) and the crowd were throwing stroopwaffles up for Lando Norris which was wild. We then headed to buy 'coins' which are obviously the official currency of the Spa GP and grabbed a beer before coming back to see Alonso (Lance Stroll was notibly absent). Next was Alfa Romeo (Bottas!!!) and they were both very personable compare to the other drivers. We then headed to the merch tent, I grabbed a Piastri shirt to support but I think it will be valuable in a few years too. Holly grabbed one too and then Erin got a Carlos Sainz hat. We grabbed more beers and had a great view of the steep part of the track. I made a tough choice between an Albon or Bottas hat, Albons was cooler so he prevailed.
    We then walked along the path to find a good vantage point, it was alternating between pouring rain and being clear which made umbrella rangling complicated. We settled on a corner with a good view and enjoyed f2 and f1 quali. It was so exciting seeing the cars zooming around in real life. We saw two of the cars hit the wall (gently) which was exciting.
    We walked back with everyone else which was very busy and I was absolutely wrecked after a big day of walking. The dinner line was ridiculously long but we ate and then headed to the shower locker room where one person was on door watch at all times. A shower was so nice after a day of rain. Next was bed and an alarm set to get up early in the morning!
    Read more