Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 73

    Welcome to the Land o Guinness

    August 1, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 19 °C

    Today we woke up bright and early to head out to Ireland. We dropped the car off at the airport, handed the keys I hope to a guy at the car company.... We checked into Ryan Air without a hitch and made it through lots of security pretty quickly. There were heaps of Formula One merch seeming like everyone was headed home from the race. Americans seemed to be everywhere and Erin even heard a person request an ice coffee and complain that there was no Starbucks.
    We boarded our flight a little bit late but again, with no issues which was a Ryan Air miracle. We arrived in Dublin and found the bus stop to Galway pretty easily. We jumped on the bus and spread out, it took about 2 and a half hours but it was a nice relaxing journey.
    We dropped our bags to the hostel and headed straight to a walking tour of the city. We heard a lot of stories about the town and got some good recommendations. Highlights included stories about love triangles resulting in deaths and hangings, churches being used as stables and tour guide singing the original Galway Girl in a capella.
    We then stopped in for a Guinness on our walk back to the hostel and it was already classic Irish dingey pub. We stopped for a snack at Supermacs and I had incredibly spiced chicken tenders, they rival the Colonels for taste. We checked in and headed for dinner at another pub. It turns out it's Galway race week, meaning everyone is watching or attending the horse racing. The pub was full of larrikans and people having a good time.
    We headed out and a random guy gave us a craft beer pub recommendations which we headed to. It was on the other side of the river and it was more a brewery vibe than a Irish pub vibe. We played a game of who wants to be a millionaire with some very British specific questions. Then we headed to get Erin her Irish whiskey, which she seemed to enjoy more than she usually has. We hit a touristy shop that was playing Taylor Swift bangers and got some souvenirs. We then hit home and fell off to sleep, the holiday is really catching up with me now!
    Read more