Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 75

    It might be time to come home now

    August 3, 2023 in Ireland ⋅ ☁️ 18 °C

    Today we woke up and had fancy free breakfast at the castle. I was surprised at the selection and kept waiting for them to charge us but it seems even the economy room gets royal brekky. We went for a walk along the coast road. We found the entrance to another castle, there was a funny young horse running up and down the fields, chewing the fences and he came and said hello to us. We walked down to the castle and the ruins were intact and beautiful. It overlooked the river and the ocean surrounded by green fields. We tried to get out another way but got absolutely covered in mud, risking trench foot once again.
    We then headed back to our accommodation castle and checked out. Walking back into town, we stopped for an Irish coffee which was absolutely delicious. We then jumped on the bus to head to Dublin.
    The bus was pretty quiet until we were about 40 mins from Galway when all the youth got on the bus to head to ladies day at the races. All very fancy looking and such classic race banter. We got to Galway and then had to change buses. We finally got into Dublin and walked to our accommodation. As a special last day treat, our accommodation was a day out and actually booked for Friday night so the hostel people got us into a room of 4 with only one other person. We carried our bags up a narrow staircase and opened the door to an older Irish man who was in between houses... Look he seemed nice enough, telling us his story, how he's a regular at the hostel and asking us about our trip however a part of me was very nervous about staying in the room with him. He gave us recommendations about pubs and was really up for a char. Erin and I unpacked stuff but after we left the room we both decided that we'd prefer to stay else where. Luckily we were able to book somewhere semi cheap and very close, so we had to head back with the excuse that they'd found us a private room where we wouldn't disturb him in the morning.
    We walked to the new hotel and I immediately felt better. We grabbed a Guinness and then decided to head to Wetherspoons for one last meal. On our way, we saw a lot of people with Irish flags and soccer gear. Erin predicted correctly, it was to do with the world cup. It was a welcome home parade for the team. It was very cool to see the amount of people who had come out.
    At Wetherspoons, we got stopped by security and he laughed at my license when I handed it to him. Erin's mobile license was even more comical. We thought for sure he wouldn't let us in, however he did and said he'd visited Parramatta? A weird interaction. After dinner we found dessert and listened to some Irish music before heading back to get some sleep before starting the journey home tomorrow. I am very exhausted, I think the past few weeks have all caught up with me!
    Read more