Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 22

    Act III Scene 6 - Budapest

    July 16, 2023 in Hungary ⋅ ☀️ 90 °F

    We reached Budapest after dusk on Saturday evening and that was the captain’s intention…for the lights of the city are a sight unlike any Boxer has ever seen. Was it the fact that one is seeing bridges, parliamentary buildings, statues, museums brightly illuminated from the deck of a ship in the middle of the Danube? Unequivocally yes.yes and hell yes. But the city turns out the lights at 11pm so don’t be late.
    The Danube separates the city of Budapest into a Buda (side) and a Pest (side) not all that dissimilar to Kansas City (MO and KS). The Pest side is east of the river, flat visually, with much of the history of this area going back centuries. The Parliament is on this side and Hero Square. Hungary like Slovakia yesterday was occupied by the Soviets and the Nazi before that.
    Mimi and Boxer toured the area by motor coach while guided by Oliver who sprinkled some anecdotes, his own personal story.
    Again we slipped away to visit the Fishermen’s Bastion with a group of new friends. Our river cruise voyage is a petri dish of the USA, Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand.
    Note: some context on the statue with lady holding the palm leaf (behind barbed wire) is called the Freedom Statue .
    The last photo is the night before we disembark on the ship’s deck below the Freedom Bridge
    Read more