Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 32

    Boxer humbled

    July 26, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 64 °F

    Today the plan was to hike in the zone of the two prominent peaks Sasso Longo and Sasso Plato
    With that goal in mind we set out early to drive to Alpi di Suisi. Blue skies with a brisk breeze met it was chilly. From there
    Steph and Peter caught the first bus to Saltria, while Boxer dawdled (not an unusual verb to describe him.) He visited the WC and put on more layers. This dilly-dallying was ok as Boxer was not going’s to climb to the top of Sasso Plato. His plan was to trek to the hut at the trailhead leading up to Sasso Plato, a multi mile walk with a commensurate elevation gain. As with most of the popular treks in the Alpe di Suisi, one can take a gondola or chairlift to start the journey. Boxer calls it “lift assist”.
    I caught the next bus to Saltria the small town below Sasso Plato to start the hike. Two hours later I arrived at the alpine hut, tired but still had ‘gas in the tank’. I pushed on with the goal of reaching the junction of a trail that would lead back to Saltria. This is where my hubris got the best of me. Rather than taking the trail I continued on to a hut at Duron Pass, another four miles ahead…half way there I ‘bonked’, Even after stopping for a snack and tea I was wasted. It was decision time, turn back or push forward to the hut at the end of the path. Boxer arrived at Rifugio Alpe di Tires with one thing in mind…some nourishment…a beer and seltzer water. As fate would have it Steph and Peter arrived (totally unplanned,)
    After they took on a more sensible meal we all trekked back to the car, another 4 miles away.
    Read more