Satellite
  • Day 244

    Last shrine & fishermen town

    November 9, 2019 in Japan ⋅ ☀️ 15 °C

    One of the highlights of our walk was the shrine of Nachi Taisha, whose elegant wooden structures are enhanced by a beautiful natural scenery. The temple complex is perched on top a hill, next to some tall pristine waterfalls. Because we did not put much effort to reach this place (we came by bus from Shingu !), we decide to walk everything down, to the little town of Nachikatsuura. Another traditional lodging is waiting for us and we have the good surprise to discover that it also has a onsen.
    We give ourselves a suchi treat for dinner, but are disappointed by the lack of alternative options (Elodie is not a fan of raw fish...). But the sushi master takes good care of us : he kindly cooks a fish for Elodie and serves it...for free !

    The following morning we explore the town : from a tori lost on a little island to the tourist seaport where an old man is eager to talk and take selfies with us, to a picnic break in a children's park where even as adult we have fun...There is not much to see or to do here but we don't get bored when together. This little town's sleepy atmosphere was perfect to close up our pilgrimage days before going back to the big city.
    Read more