Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Lisbon, Portugal

    September 24, 2022 in Portugal ⋅ ⛅ 73 °F

    Day 3- Lisbon, Portugal

    Today, Lisbon in a day. Arranging ahead of time for a tuk-tuk tour, an easy day, we just had to get on the train by 10. This proved to be a challenge, however, as the ticket seller never showed and the machines were sold out. Finally, Thom convinced the janitor to allow the small gathering mob to get on the train. We patted us ourselves on the back for saving 10 euro until we realized in Lisbon that you can’t leave without a ticket. Thom attempted to break out and got stuck in a turnstile. We were pretty sure this is a way to trap all the zombies during an apocalypse, until we pleaded our case, mainly with hand motions, to a security guard (just hoping to get back to his break) who took out the magic key and let us out!

    Meeting up with Claudio, our guide for the day, we boarded our tuk tuk to be entertained for the next 5 hours. Lisbon, we learned, is the second oldest capital city in Europe (the oldest-Athens). Celts were the first inhabitants, but Lisbon was settled by the Phoencians, then Moors, followed by the Romans and eventually the Christians. Obviously a world power in the late 1400-1500s, Portugal was responsible for many expidetions around the world. The influence of all these cultures melded into this spectacular colorful city. Clearly in love with his city and culture, we enjoyed our visit as Claudio enthusiasticly shared his knowledge of the city and Portuguese traditions. I throughly enjoyed partaking in the cherry liquor in chocolate cups, the cod puffs, the sangria and most of the charcuterie board. Except that stinky cheese, gag, it’s just how I imagine foot fungus would taste. Flying up and down the 7 hills and winding streets, I did not envy the suckers hoofing up on their own. The best part of the day—I think our guide even liked taking pictures of us more than even me! Finally someone else yelling “one, two, three look at me!” After an uneventful trip home and tasty authentic Portuguese meal, we headed back to our cozy quarters for the night and went to bed happy with a UC win!
    Read more