Satellite
  • Day 6

    Atlas Mtns day 4 Ouled Berhil to Agadir

    October 27, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ ☀️ 26 °C

    The day started with a hearty breakfast which wasn’t quite ready at 0800 when requested but was probably the best of the trip so far!

    We set off at 9.30 and were soon caught by 2 local cyclists whom we drafted for several miles before thanking them and dropping off. This helped us cover the first 32k (20 miles) in an hour. Not bad for gravel/ cross bikes with paniers.

    The National route was very straight , slightly downhill and smoothly metalled. Traffic was not too bad and a real mixture of motor scooters, trucks, vans with sheep, cows or chickens on the roof etc.

    We thought were making good time to cover th calculated 110k (68 miles) to Agadir. Nothing really to stop and see until we got to Tarandount , where we ended up going through the centre of the walled city on market day which at first was slightly intimidating and then fascinating.

    We ploughed on stopping for an egg sandwich ( from breakfast) , freshly pressed orange and apple juice when the sun started to blaze. As we sat eating a mini whirlwind moved through the forecourt!.

    Lots of police checks on the roads , basically at the entrance to each major town or village; not interested in bikes, but friendly enough.

    At the 68 mile mark we had only just reached the very outskirts of Agadir and our off line local directions said another 10 miles!! It went on and on and when we’re close to our destination the aptly named Hotel Atlantic View we got lost and Andrew got disoriented and drove into a sharp pointy bush gashing himself; nothing too serious although the Hotel treated it seriously enough when we eventually arrived. The appartment hotel wasn’t too keen to have our bikes in the foyer but as it turns out there would have been ample room in the room! We dumped or stuff and headed for a swim in the see 128k completed (89 miles!).

    Later we headed out for dinner, but Agadir is a resort based location so not many restaurants to choose from. We did find one though with beer on the menu outside and on the menu; happy days except that the waiter informed us they didn’t serve alcohol! Quite a surprise therefore when they produced a bottle of red when he pleaded “I really need a little glass of rouge with my tagine” in French obs! He had to keep it under the table though! And our waiter did pour the water like it was wine though and we were quite enjoying our Orange juices by then.!!

    Our goal was to cycle from Marrakech to Agadir via the highest road points in the Atlas Mountains in 4 days..... and we did it! Bus back to Marrakech tomorrow; time flies!
    Read more