Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 60

    Acadia NP day 2

    August 29, 2023 in the United States ⋅ ☁️ 59 °F

    Day 2 in Acadia we tried catching sunrise from Cadillac mountain. It’s the earliest sunrise on the continental US and you need reservations to drive to the summit. We were lucky enough to get the permit but unlucky to have a cloudy sunrise. We still enjoyed it and then went for what was supposed to be a relaxing bike ride on the carriage trails. These are historical trails through the woods of the park that used to showcase the landscape for wealthy guests who were carted around in the horse drawn carriages.

    What we didn’t realize was how many times the trails crossed over the mountains in the middle of the park. Poor Dave without an electric bike had quite the workout which was rewarded by a hearty lunch at the Jordan pond house. After filling up on popovers and meatloaf we started back towards the truck. 13 miles from it we were notified by our temperature system in the camper that it was out of range at 83 degrees. It was set to notify at 73 degrees and the weather was only 72 degrees that day. We still raced back and somehow the AC had not been set to on and with the camper in the sun it had slowly increased to an uncomfortable level. Luckily the dogs were okay and we were able to get the camper cooled off quickly. Was a scary lesson learned and we are very thankful we had the alert system.

    Once we spent time with the pups and ensured the AC was working correctly, we explored the quiet side of Acadia in southwest harbor and rock hopped to the Bass harbor head light station. We drove to a small area called seal harbor, which ironically doesn’t usually have seals 🙄 After Dave helped tow a car out of the sand, we spotted a bald eagle flying low overhead.
    Read more