Satellite
  • Day 9

    Reynisfjara Beach

    February 14, 2018 in Iceland ⋅ 🌙 -8 °C

    As you can see, the Penguins were there again. It really is a tourist hotspot and the car park was almost full including several coaches. The main attractions here are the sea stacks, basalt columns and the huge waves hitting the beach ... and they really are massive. As you can see from the first photo here, the sky looked ominous though to the south west there was a half-hearted attempt at sunset colours. We had a go at trying to capture images of the waves hitting the beach and the stacks but nothing spectacular hit our sensors. We were there about an hour and in that time the temperature dropped again and it got quite windy, so we gave up and went to the cafe for refreshment and a warm up. As we headed to the car to leave it started to sleet quite heavily.

    This evening the temperature is above freezing and the roads are quite slushy. It's quite windy too and there was more sleet as we returned to the guest house from the restaurant. Not the best day today, but then maybe we've been spoilt up to now.

    Tomorrow we're hoping we can get to photograph a canyon but it'll depend on whether of not we can get to it after all the snow that's fallen. We'll find out tomorrow but as we get ready to sleep there's a howling wind outside.
    Read more