Satellite
  • Day 7

    Last Evening in Jemaa el-Fnaa Square

    May 7, 2019 in Morocco ⋅ 🌙 29 °C

    Soon we were near the large square Jemaa el-Fnaa which is a must see location if you visit Marrakech. We’d been here at the start of the trip if you recall and I think we just gravitated here now because there are souks nearby, plenty to see in the square and reasonably priced places to eat in the streets leading from it. There’s plenty of food and eating opportunities in Jemaa el-Fnaa itself but it’s all just too much trouble to get into arguments over money whilst being forced to buy things you don’t need. According to Trip Advisor, several reviewers say stall #5 contains nothing but rogues and thieves who will threaten physical violence if you end up not making a purchase. True? I don’t know because we simply walked at our leisure, repelled all boarders and ignored anyone or anything that looked as though there was the remotest chance a snake or a monkey might be involved ... or any silly toy to be honest. One seller persisted/intruded for far too long trying to sell us a little wooden box with a spring loaded something or other in it, which jumped out in a limp sort of way when you opened a drawer. I’ll now regret not buying several because when I’m home my life will surely seem so bleak and miserable without one! Did you sense a mild amount of sarcasm in that last sentence? Yes, really?

    We spent quite some time in the souks though, where although everyone is keen to make a sale you do not have the feelings of being attacked as you do when walking the streets or in that square. Another bonus is the price of things, which seem a lot more reasonable, and less stress during the ‘negotiations’. I purchased spices for my daughter from an extremely friendly man who is standing next to Nigel in photo two. All I needed now was my fridge magnet and my mission would be complete.

    The other photos here give you the general idea of what we saw. I preferred the square as the day faded to night when for me the place came alive. It is worth the experience of visiting Jemaa el-Fnaa square but you need to be on your guard with your shields up. I never found it threatening nor felt unsafe at any time but you do need to keep an eye on your wallet or purse and keep your wits about you. Having said this I can think of many places in the world where the same would be true.

    We ended the evening, there were four of us left now, accompanying Nigel and Monique to their modern western-style hotel where we ate our meal in the roof terrace bar area. Sherilee and I shared a taxi back to our Ryad to end the last full day of this trip.

    What a lovely day.
    Read more