Satelit
Tampilkan pada peta
  • Hari 25

    Day 23 - To Sahagun

    1 Oktober 2022, Spanyol ⋅ ☀️ 22 °C

    Day 23 - To Sahagun
    17 kms; Difficulty 1/3

    Had a shorter day today, only 17 km. Started in Ledigos and ended in Sahagún. Tomorrow will be shorter yet. Trying to take it easy on my leg and it’s also dependent on where I can find a place to stay. That determines how far I will walk each day.
    This morning had a very interesting sunrise reflecting on the jet streams.
    The first town I came to was Terradillos. It was a sleepy town. At 8:30 in the morning I didn’t see a single soul except for a few of us pilgrims. The town has a different feel. Old concrete buildings instead of brick. Wide cement streets rather than cobblestone.
    A church from the 13th century belonged to the Knights Templar who were a “Catholic military order responsible for protecting Christian pilgrims”. Knights Templar was formed in 1119 and was headquartered on the Temple Mount in Jerusalem. The order was popular and successful for about 200 years. The grand master was arrested in 1307 which happened to be Friday the 13th, possibly what started the superstition about the date. He was burned at the stake, and it is uncertain whether it was because of wrongdoing or simply political. The order was subsequently disgraced and disbanded.
    Next I came upon Moratinos which had old bodegas (wine cellars) in the side of a hill, dating back about 500 years ago! Not used as bodegas anymore, but sometimes used to store food like cheeses.
    Baca selengkapnya