Satellit
Auf Karte anzeigen
  • Tag 21

    Halmstad - Helsingborg - Lund - Ystad

    26. Juli 2023 in Schweden ⋅ 🌙 11 °C

    There were some very specific things that needed checking off the bucket list on this holiday. If you know me at all, I'm quite fond of the road less travelled and finding those little hidden gems that other people might not be aware of. Today, we ticked the list with a hidden gem that really got me smiling … Ales Stenar, an ancient stone henge near the village of Kåseberga in Sweden. This is the reason we have come so far south …
    Ales Stenar is more than just a henge. It's a "ship setting", made up of 59 boulders, set high up on the Kåseberga Ridge, and laid out in the shape of a ships hull. It's 70m long and 19m wide and was erected sometime between 500 and 1000AD. But why is it there, set upon an open, windswept hill? Why indeed… The magnificent landscape, the placement of the stones and the view of the sea leave it open to many interpretations. Perhaps it's a burial site (though no grave has ever been located)? Perhaps it's a symbol of power or a gathering place, a cenotaph or a monument to someone or something? Perhaps it's a sun dial or a solar calendar? Is it coincidence that the stone ships' central line points at the exact spot on the horizon where the sun rises during the summer and winter solstices? It's fascinating to ponder … Samara thinks someone put it there because they were bored! You tell me 🤔 Either way, I touched the stones and didn't find Jamie Fraser (Outlander reference).
    We spent time seeking out various other little gems between Halmstad and Ystad along the way today too. We wandered the streets of Helsingborg and found the very impressive Kärnan Tower, offering brilliant views over the city, and the Landskrona Slott, with its shady and checkered history but awesome moat. Samara tried to pat the ducks. We drove into Lund, a lovely university town, showcasing the Lund Cathedral (with its superb crypt and an astronomical clock!) and classic buildings, then on through Dalby to catch a squizz at their whitewashed church. Not to forget the Valleberga Church! Some of the neatest graveyards I've seen have been in Sweden. Sam is now over churches AND fortresses 😁
    Weiterlesen