Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 3

    Bedtime Wrap

    March 5, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌙 18 °C

    Erin and I hit the ground running today. First up, breakfast at El Cafe, which was Mexican styled breakfast food; surprisingly delicious and great coffee.

    We followed breakfast with a quick stroll up a hill (Erin made it this time) to enjoy a beautiful view of the Bay of Islands. Erin absolutely smashed it too; suggested walking time was 40 minutes to the summit and we did it in 45 minutes return.

    It was back to Paihia; to jump on a boat and tour the bay. Absolutely stunning. Erin loved the dolphin pod we found; the dolphins did have great names like French Toast and Ripper. I particularly enjoyed Motu Kōkako or Hole in the Rock. The photos don't show the grand scale of the cavern. It was definitely an eerie feeling as we drove through it knowing 1000kg plus of rock was currently above our heads.

    We finished the day off with wine, dinner and a sunset in Russell; the orginal capital of New Zealand. It was a rather pretty scene, eating dinner and looking across the Bay towards Paihia.

    We had a slight oops moment on our drive back to our accommodation. We are staying at a hobby farm just outside of Kerikeri, our GPS took us along a dirt road...

    An unknown dirt road, at night; in the pitch black, full of potholes, sharp blind bends, closed gates and cows. Wasn't the easiest road to drive and there was a time or two when I wondered if our little Corolla was going to make it up a hill. Luckily it did and now it's time to grab some shut eye so we can do it all again tomorrow.

    Lysa XO
    Read more