Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 9

    Bedtime Wrap

    March 11, 2017 in New Zealand ⋅ 🌧 13 °C

    We woke up to low heavy clouds and more rain. I had plans of watching the sunrise over the ocean but the cloud cover made that impossible.

    Erin was determined to see some local markets and despite the rain we set off into town. The markets consisted entirely of food stalls and Erin was hoping for some craft stalls. We took advantage of the fresh produce and grabbed breakfast.

    We hit the road and headed south for Wellingtonbattling heavy rain, road works and slow traffic. It was not a fast trip so we reverted to a Barnsley favourite past time.... Les Mis!

    In Wellington, it was unsurprisingly still raining so we hit the National Library. Erin found a puzzle to keep herbusy in the gift shop while I listened to a ccollectionof interviews with soldiers of WWI. We the both checked out the cartography of New Zealand exhibit.

    The weather cleared so we headed for Cuba Street, which was reputed to be one of the more bohemian areas of Wellington; home to an eclectic collection of cafes, op-shops, boutique, small fashion stores, art galleries, and music shops. We enjoyed looking in a few shops but our timing was a little off and many of the shops started closing soon after our arrival. The Street art was on point, we even took shelter under the giant umbrella while waiting for the lights to change. We had dinner in a local Cafe and Erin enjoyed a glass of Pinot Gris (I think I have turned her into a wine drinker).

    We finished of with a trip to Space Place, the space museum and local observatory. The weather made actual star gazing impossible but the planetarium showed us a virtualisation of what could be seen on a clear night. Inside the planetarium we also watched a short documentary on the big bang and how planets are formed. The imagery was beautiful particularly the nebula.

    And that's another day in New Zealand.

    Lysa XO
    Read more