Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 6

    Running through Venice

    June 28, 2023 in Italy ⋅ ⛅ 21 °C

    Dave and I had a decent sleep which was good since we had decided to set our alarm for 7:10 in order to go on a run. We debated going back to sleep but knew there would be something special seeing Venice before everyone awoke. We weren’t wrong. While we were surprised that there were more people than we expected, we still felt like we caught Venice at a special time.

    We started off heading to St. Marks Square and were excited to get to view it with no one around. It was so peaceful and quiet- quite a juxtaposition from yesterday. We passed through and started running down the waterline. It was so nice and calm, we decided to keep running to see what we found.

    We went up and down, over the many staircases along the water and ended up finding a huge park on the end of the island. We ran through the housing where the locals lived and saw the locals making their morning deliveries. Little kids were being taken to school by a parent pulling them along on a scooter. We passed people walking their dogs and others getting their morning run in. We also passed a naval base and their football field. It was so nice. We ended up extending our run another 15 minutes before we headed back to shower, packup and grab breakfast. So happy we woke up early, but four miles and many stairs, my legs are starting to get tired! They need a break!
    Read more