Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 29

    Machu Picchu

    December 15, 2017 in Peru ⋅ ⛅ 15 °C

    Have just returned to our Cusco hotel following our 4 day hike to Machu Picchu.

    Trek was long but not overly difficult. We had constant good weather (I only wore my raincoat for 2 hours total).

    Each day began with a 5 am start, around 8 hours walking (lunch in between) then camping and bed by 8 (!). Views often obscured by fog, but I've attached the good pictures.

    Food was pretty good considering the circumstances, but the portions could've been bigger. If I'm saying that, then there's something wrong.

    Machu Picchu was impressive, a nice end to the trail. Was actually not that significant a site during the Inca times, just happened to be preserved from the conquistadors. Full of tourists coming in by train though.

    Peru is also in the middle of a political crisis - President was charged with corruption yesterday (by some of his own party, which he founded). Expected to step down very soon. Peruvian sole has dropped a cent vs the NZD so this trip just got cheaper.

    Nix lost this morning (useless) and I'm off back to sleep.

    Pics: (1) Inca trail; (2) Original Inca roads; (3) Our camp site (20 porters!); (4) Machu Picchu; (5) Llamas eating in Machu Picchu - you can buy one for 400 NZD.
    Read more