Satellite
  • Day 3

    Off the beaten Bangkok track

    February 26, 2017 in Thailand ⋅ ☀️ 32 °C

    I met up with my old school friend Vicky a couple of days ago who lives here in Bangkok, she took me to an island nearby popular with Thai tourists. They call it Bangkok's 'Green Lung' because of it's open spaces and relatively fresh air compared to the city.

    After messing around with a taxi driver who definitely didn't know where he was going and getting increasingly angry because of this fact, we eventually arrived at the little port that takes you to the island. We hopped on a tiny boat for five minutes and arrived ashore where we hired a bike for the day and went to explore. The island was really nice with friendly locals and pretty scenery. It was good to be able to go somewhere a little off the tourist track too. There was a great little market selling all sorts of odds and ends and a lot of weird looking food. We bought a tasty little savoury snack which was hotter than the sun, and appropriately named them 'mouthburners'.

    I also had some traditional Thai boat noodles (named because a lady cooks them in a boat) which were delicious followed by a massage, which to be honest wasn't the most relaxing thing as they seemed to want to put me in all sorts of odd positions - less massage more workout!

    We cycled a bit further around and came to a tree-house bar and chilled out for a while there. I had some Mango sticky rice which was absolutely amazing, before meandering our way to the exit and jumped on the little boat again to head back to the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

    We had a swim in Vicky's apartment swimming pool which overlooked the city before going for some dinner - according to the restaurant I had the fifth best Pad Thai dish in the world, slightly odd stat, but it was very tasty - I couldn't tell you where the number one best Pad Thai in the world is though, and neither could they).

    I headed back to my hostel in Bangkok's Uber equivalent taxi, although I wasn't sure if the driver's very loud singing was an included part of the Thai service!
    Read more