Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 119

    Magnetic Island

    July 29, 2016 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 21 °C

    We finished the drive to Townsville in the morning and hopped on a boat to Magnetic Island. It was short one hour ferry. The island is big enough and populated enough that there is actually a public bus on the island. It is popular to rent small electric cars to get around the island but we elected to take the bus to our hostel. We had brought our tent along to camp which I was happy to get one more use out of before we sent it home. Our accommodations at Bungalow Bay Kola Village had a good location and were only a short walk to restaurants, beaches and hiking trail. We headed to Horseshoe Bay for the afternoon for Lunch and lounged on the beach with our books. The weather was a perfect temperature with clear blue skies.

    In late afternoon we headed in the opposite direction to Arcadia in search of a bar that offered toad races. This is a popular attraction on this island where people race toads down the bar. We found a good little 1hr hiking trail to get us there but the mosquitos were out and force. Unfortunately, we had also read the sign wrong and the races were another night so we settled for dinner and a couple games of pool.
    Read more