Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 601

    Cataratas Pulhapanzak

    August 22, 2021 in Honduras ⋅ ☁️ 28 °C

    Not much to do in Honduras one would think.

    Bueno, this statement isn’t utterly wrong. Poverty in Honduras is exacerbated by a consistent threat of natural disasters, such as floods, hurricanes and land erosion. In Honduras, 60 percent of the population lives below the national poverty line and the country has one of the lowest per capita incomes in Latin America. All this makes it hard for the country to attract tourism in the first place.

    Honduras has truly spectacular Mayan ruins at Copan, some of the best/cheapest scuba diving in the Northern Hemisphere in the Bay Islands, and a fascinating mix of different cultures, food, and traditions. But for all that I decided to skip Utila and Roatán (the Bay Islands) to save money for Caye Caulker, an island which belongs to Belize and has one of the most incredible snorkel reefs in the Caribbean Sea.

    Until now it is not quite sure if I can even enter Belize since they have very strict covid precautions. The country per se is about three times more expensive than Honduras but that can’t be applied for the touristy Bay Islands which might be in a similar price range like Belizes’ Caye Caulker. But all that will be taken into consideration in about a month.

    My Honduras adventures in a nutshell are, 1 night in Choluteca, 2 nights in Copan, 1 in San Pedro Sula, 2 nights in Peña Blanca (Cataratas Pulhapanzak) and the following day will be in Puerto Cortés so I have spent a full week in Honduras.
    Read more