Satellite
  • Day 6

    Suomenlinna today

    August 17, 2017 in Finland ⋅ ⛅ 18 °C

    These days the fortress serves as a setting for many cultural activities. Many artists and crafts people have studios there, experts in restoration of traditional sailing ships are now based there.
    There are a few museums on this small island as well. A toy museum, military museum, customs, submarine and 2 others. Many restaurants and cafes, conference centres, a theatre, old church. Quite amazing to have all this packed on such a small island.
    Walking around it was amazing to see all the brickwork and turf growing on top. A lovely bunker that could have been a hobbit house. Lots and lots of tunnels that you could walk through with stalagtites growing off the roof. Actually a bit spooky at times.
    There were a group of tourists enjoying a game of bocci. Many people just go over for picnics and enjoy the coastline.
    I traveled over on the public ferry (free with my Helsinki card) and it only took 15 minutes, but no commentary this time. You can take a guided walk if you wish. I missed the last one as I took a wrong turn (I am NOT a great navigator!) and missed the walk. It was actually good as I had the map to tell me about sites and, (as I am not a great navigator) I took more turns than was on the "thin blue line" and so saw more.
    AND, I got to soak my aching feet in the Baltic Sea - walking over cobblestones for a few hours plays havoc on the feet and back.
    Read more