Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 24

    Dracula's castle and Brasov day trip

    July 17, 2019 in Romania ⋅ ⛅ 24 °C

    Our day trip today is to see Bran Castle, fabled to be Dracula's castle, home of Vlad the Imapler.
    Now owned and maintained by the Romanian royal family.
    It was very interesting, complete with torture rooms 😩 and an award winning elevator. Also, very busy, having to squeeze ourselves past many people along the narrow passages.
    We were picked up by our guide Claudia, she spoke English well and had a great sense of humour. As we drove through the countryside she would cross herself, Catholic and Orthodox style, whenever we passed a church, or something in the traffic worried her. There were lots of both so her right hand was very busy!!
    After the castle, we went to the city of Brasov, bigger and shinier than Sibiu. We visited the Black Church, black because it was half burnt down in the 1600's. Very ornate inside, typical of most Orthodox churches I've seen.
    We also visited another church that was having a special mass. Women down one side and men on the other. Claudia did the church thing- then all 3 of us lit 2 candles each-1 to pray for our living loved ones and the other to pray for our passed ones. It was lovely she shared that with us.
    Then back to Sibiu around 7.30pm for tea and bed. We have to be up at 3 am to go to airport.
    Read more