Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 34

    Bitola, Republic of North Macedonia

    July 27, 2019 in North Macedonia ⋅ ☀️ 25 °C

    Our guide tells us this country has had its official name for only a few weeks after much wrangling with the Greeks. This part of Macedonia was in Yugoslavia until it was disbanded and the southern part of Macedonia is still controlled by Greece.
    Today we mostly drive. This morning we went to the UNESCO site of Vergina to see the Royal Tomb exhibition. It is believed that King Phillip and one of his wives were entombed here. His son Alexander buried him, after King Phillip was assassinated by his body guard. There are 4 separate tombs within the museum, and many artefacts. It was very well done for such a small town.
    Organised lunch at a restaurant, very, very hot.
    We crossed the border, enduring 2 passport checks-out of Greece and into North Macedonia.
    When we got to our hotel there were a band of traditional Israeli dancers getting ready to participate in a dance festival here. That explains the 2 groups of traditional dressed people we passed driving in.
    We settle into Bitola (previously called Monastir) . It used to be the main centre of the Ottoman Empire for the Balkans during its reign in the area.
    We all go out to a local restaurant nearby for some Macedonian food. Very nice.
    Read more