Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 255

    Mount Cook

    February 3, 2019 in New Zealand ⋅ ☀️ 17 °C

    We have travelled into Mackenzie country to see the lakes and NZ Alps.
    We stopped off at Geraldine, which is a quaint town -very quiet -with a small Sunday craft market.
    Then on to Lake Tekapo - one of the hydro electric lakes filled with melt water from the Alps. We rose up through beautiful countryside reminiscent of the rolling green hills of Dorset then, as we got higher, the Lowlands of Scotland. Cattle farming on the plain below gave way to sheep farming with some arable on the plains.
    We took in Lake Tekapo, which is one of the turquoise lakes. The best view is from the Church of the Good Shepherd, a very quaint building on the banks of the lake. Afterwards we drove onto Lake Pukaki, which is a larger lake leading up to the base of Mount Cook - the highest peak in Australasia. All very spectacular.
    We stayed at Glentanner site which is where a lot of helicopter tours take off from. It is the Chinese new year holiday period and the flights are busy with Chinese holiday makers looking at the mountain and glaciers.
    We drove up to Mount Cook Village to check out the Information Centre and details for a walk to do the following day.
    Read more