Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 309

    Whitehaven Beach

    March 29, 2019 in Australia ⋅ 🌧 27 °C

    The night was very still and the cabin a comfortable temperature. We slept well, and at dawn the kookaburras could be heard chattering on the nearby island.
    We woke up to a fine day and a very nice breakfast during which we set off for the famous Whitehaven Beach. It is generally regarded as one of the best 10 beaches in the world.
    The winds were not great so the journey was done using the engine.
    We moored up in a bay then walked over a headland to the beach. What lay before us was a joy to behold - the sand is pure silica and almost pure white and the beach opened out in front of us. The water was very clear and a nice temperature. Although there were a number of boats visiting the beach it was not crowded.
    We walked along the shore for an hour or so where we saw some rays in the shallows and some reef sharks. The rays were lying in the sand and gave us a start when we disturbed them. After a little more time we took the trek up to the look outs where the swirling sands can be seen at low tide.
    The party boat had arrived on the beach before us and the youngsters advised that the trip was lively with a lot of booze being consumed.
    Read more