Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 559

    York

    December 4, 2019 in England ⋅ ☀️ 4 °C

    We travelled to York via Holmfirth so we could pick up a purchase from a supplier - a new screen cover for Chloe, much needed now that the weather has turned colder! Travelling across Saddleworth Moor was a treat on a clear sunny day. The road to the high ground (A635) passed through spectacular countryside as it rose up through, across and descended down the other side of the Pennines. We both enjoyed the views.
    We cycled into York on two days - one to see the city centre which, very much like Chester, is charming with ancient buildings preserved within city walls.
    The Shambles, Shambles traditional market and the Parliament Street Christmas Market were quite full of tourists. The York Christmas market had a different selection of wares to all the others which was quite refreshing. On the second day we walked the part of the city walls that are open for walking - a good walk with views of the city within. We also walked by the river Ouse for a while, and then walked around the parts of the city centre that we had missed the day before. There is an excellent range of shops in York - and we managed to finish our Christmas present shopping - all ready for wrapping before we travel onto Redcar to see family. When we arrived back at the site it was starting to fill up with new caravans and motor homes arriving one after the other. The site is full tonight with all 111 pitches taken.
    The following day we took the bus to Malton (ouch - the fares were clearly not subsidised), it is the self proclaimed food capital of Yorkshire so we went to have a look. It is a nice little town centred around an old market square. There was a Christmas food market in full flow when we arrived and the town was busy. We enjoyed a good look at the market and in the variety of individual shops that abound in the town centre..
    Read more