Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 646

    Urunga

    February 29, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 26 °C

    Leaving Armidale we drove the Waterfalls Way, which is said to be one of the most picturesque in the area - it did not disappoint. Starting up on the high tableland we aimed for the coast at Urunga. The road passed through very green countryside with rolling hills and cattle ranches aplenty - much relieved by the recent rains. The first major water fall, the Wollombi Falls had the lookouts closed due to maintenance, so we carried on to Ebor.
    Ebor had suffered quite badly with the bush fires as was evidenced by the lookout platforms for the upper and lower falls having been incinerated. The upper falls could be seen from the paths adjacent the gorge at high level. To the north the fire damaged valley was evident - but greenery was returning. Passing through Dorigo the road descends down the mountain through a beautiful valley with glimpses of magnificent views through the trees. The drive was about 140 miles long, and was truly stunning! We made our way to a site on the coast at Urunga planning to return to Dorigo and Bellingen in the next few days. Urunga had been recommended to us by staff at the previous campsite - and we were so pleased with their choice for our next stop. What a beautiful place - with 2 rivers meeting to join the sea. We set up camp, then walked the excellent boardwalk from our campsite, out across the lagoon and onto the beachfront. We walked along the beach for some way, before returning to camp. The site was just about full, as this is obviously a very popular spot. The site and area we are in has a lovely vibe to it. We reckon we'll be extending our stay here, as there is much to see and the weather is perfect.
    Read more