Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 645

    Armidale

    February 28, 2020 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 23 °C

    A travelling day through very green countryside after the rains. The views reminded us of the plains in Spain.
    Armidale is at the top of the Waterfalls Road, which we have come to have a look at. Armidale claims to be the highest city in Australia.
    On the way from Singleton driving on The New England Highway we passed through towns and hamlets with very familiar names Camberwell, Tamworth, Aberdeen, Scone, Blandford, Ardglen. We stopped at Wallabadah for a light lunch and to see the memorial gardens there.
    A stone mason from Sydney traced his ancestry back to one of the passengers in the first fleet and persuaded the local council here to erect a memorial garden to celebrate the names of everyone on the ships that arrived in the First and Second Fleets. Every person on every ship is remembered by having their names carved in stone. There were four references to Maclean - all in the convict category- none in the official positions or ships crew. The second fleet was a substantially less populated affair than the first expedition but it carried many provisions to keep the colony afloat.
    Read more