Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 839

    St Just

    September 9, 2020 in England ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    We decided to take a bus trip around the headland.
    The first part of the journey was St Just to Penzance. A 30 minute bus ride on a large double decker. We journeyed on the top deck - the bus seats had labels all over them to state which seats should be used for social distancing, generally every other one so no one was sitting side by side with a stranger. It was a quite disturbing trip, one lady of about our age spent the time on the phone (sans mask) telling someone that her friend was deteriorating rapidly and it was "such a shame." In the next breath she was saying that the new social distancing guidelines were ridiculous and she was not going to pay any heed to them. Other people did not appear to be able to read the signs on the seats asking them to leave the space clear.
    We spent a couple of hours in Penzance then got the bus to St Ives. The other passengers on this one obeyed the rules. We had hoped to see some of the peninsular from the top deck of the buses but the weather had closed in and we spent each journey shrouded in mist.
    St Ives was busy but not over full, it was packed with cafes and restaurants doing good trade. We spent some time there but got the early bus back to St Just as the weather was not brilliant.
    The bus trip back from St Ives to St Just was the best bus journey we have ever been on. We were seated at the top of a semi open top double decker in the front seats so we could see what was coming. The road narrowed in parts to a width not much wider than the bus itself with at times very few passing places. The driver had immense patience, he had to reverse at least five times, one time about 200 meters to allow strings of traffic to pass in the other direction and once he had to dive up a farmers track to prevent a log jam at a particulary narrow section with another bus approaching head on.
    The lanes were very narrow and as the bus tilted around some corners we were touching distance from buildings and trees either side of the road. Great fun - the bus was 15 minutes late to arrive at St Just so surely not a normal journey.
    Read more