Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,375

    Hervey Bay

    February 27, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☀️ 28 °C

    A travelling day, and what a day it turned out to be. Queensland's roads were in chaos due to the incessant rain, flash flooding, general flooding and road damage. RACQ advised that 800 road closures were in place in the surrounding area which made our proposed trip difficult. Jamie advised us that 1.4metres of rain had fallen on Brisbane and local area was flooding, although his house being high was not in peril.
    A review of the RACQ web site indicated that a route was available for us to get to Rainbow Beach although a couple of major questions were in play - conditions at Gympie and Maryborough where extensive road closures were in place.
    We made a route plan that seemed possible and reviewed it along our way, Apparently our proposed route would take us 4.5 hours to Rainbow Beach.
    All went very well until we got to Gayndah where we attempted to refuel with diesel but all the filling stations were out of diesel so we travelled on to Ban Ban Springs where we were able to refuel at the point our route plan would take us off towards Biggenden. Alas road signs advised us that this route was closed so we had to detour back toward Gayndah to take an unsealed road (in part) on a 150k detour - this being the only route guaranteed to get us to the Bruce Highway.
    We decided then that we should abandon our proposal to get to Rainbow, instead opting to travel to Hervey Bay which is one of the places we were going to visit later in our trip. After six hours behind the wheel Karen pulled us into the Big 4 site just prior to the reception office closing for the day. Thank goodness we had some wine and beer in the fridge.
    It stopped raining in Brisbane overnight apparently.
    Read more