Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,376

    Hervey Bay

    February 28, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ⛅ 27 °C

    Monday was a lazy day, so we could chill after the longer than expected journey of the day before. We used it as a catch up day for this diary and for emailing and whatsapping as the web access at Cania Gorge was practically non- existent.
    In the afternoon we decided it would be nice to wander along the promenade into the town to stretch our legs. The walk was a nice one but the temperature and humidity were high. We took refuge in air- conditioned shops and didn't linger more than we had to. It was evident in the supermarkets that the supply chains had been seriously disrupted as all the shelves for fresh foods were stripped bare, not just in one shop but in them all. We were pleased that we had stocked up in readiness for the more remote Rainbow Beach.
    On Tuesday we took the car out to River Heads so we could check some of the details which were not clear on the check in for our trip to Fraser Island later in our stay. It was baking hot again. One gentleman was going to avoid the road closures by taking the barge to the island, driving across to 75mile beach then down to cross onto the mainland at Inskip Point. From there he would drive along the beach to get the chain ferry at Noosa Heads, This was a tried and trusted route for him as he had used it in the floods of 2011.
    We returned to base to collapse into the very warm site swimming pool. An absolute godsend in the temperatures and humidity here.
    On Wednesday we took the car out again to Urangan, where we walked along the pier. The water here are usually crystal clear but due to the floods on the Mary River the sea was murky due to all the silt. At the end of the pier a lone chinese fisherman was crumpled up out of the sun more intent on playing games on his phone than concentrating on the fishing.
    Thursday morning was very muggy - you could tell a storm was brewing. In the morning we travelled into Maryborough, where flooding had been sufficient to close the main highway for five days. The usual very lively market had been cancelled and a clean up was under way.
    Every town here has a tribute to the Anzac campaign veterans and the fallen. This is the first one we have seen with words from Ataturk too.
    We returned in early afternoon as the skies darkened and were warned by the site team that a storm was just about to come through. We battened down the hatches and took refuge in the tent as a blistering tropical storm passed overhead. The rain was biblical and the thunder and lightning as near and as loud as any we have ever been under. Out tent once again remained dry inside, a truly remarkable bit of kit.
    Read more