Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,431

    Stanthorpe

    April 24, 2022 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 15 °C

    On Sunday we visited the Museum at Amiens where the local history society were keen to bring us up to speed with the post WW1 history of the area. Sunday turned into quite a cold day so we returned to the site to keep warm in the camp kitchen.
    On Monday we drove to Mount Malay the local high spot to have a look over the plains surrounding Stanthorpe, we then we visited Suttons farm and juice factory where the apple pies were hotly recommended. We were glad we were forewarned, we had one pie helping to share and it was enormous, served with cider ice cream and chantilly cream.
    Eugene had told us about the Queensland College of Wine and Tourism which had been built to provide a practical education for non academic students in the area. The restaurant was reputed to offer great fare so we booked ourselves in for a lunch. We both opted for the signature lunch tasting menu which came with complimenting wines from the college vinyards over four courses which was all very tasty.
    By the evening the winds had dropped and the temperatures improved and we enjoyed our last night in the open in front of a raging camp fire.
    Read more