Satellite
Show on map
  • Day 1,983

    Ulverstone

    October 28, 2023 in Australia ⋅ ☁️ 16 °C

    Our first full day in Tassie saw us take a road trip to the west of Ulverstone. First off we stopped off at Table Cape to have a look at the late tulip fields. High up on the rocky outcrop there are some very fertile fields that are used to grow the tulips. Who needs Keukenhof when you can come to Tas. It is a bit backendish but the fields were very colourful with many of the heads stripped already for bulb production. We then did the walk along the cliff top to the Table Cape lighthouse.
    After that we drove along to Stanley to have a look at this sleepy town with its rocky outcrop called The Nut. The Nut is a volcanic plug standing very proud of the surrounding area and can be climbed up via a very steep path or via a cable car. We walked up as we always like a challenge and the views from the top were worth it, even on a cloudy day. On our descent Karen spotted a Pademelon with Joey in the bushes which was our first encounter with breathing indigenous wildlife this trip - all other sightings have been squashed versions by the side of the roads.
    An ice cream was welcome on our return to sea level after which we set off to have a look at the Tarkine Trail.
    We underestimated the distances travelled so only touched upon the drive before deciding to head back to Ulverstone before nightfall.
    Read more